In March 2019, the Planning Policy and Decisions Team received a planning application for a large-scale live music and entertainment venue from The Madison Square Garden Company (MSG). The proposal is for a spherical shaped building next to Stratford Station that would provide an auditorium (capacity for up to 21,500 people), a music venue, nightclub, members lounge, restaurants, bars, and new bridges to create pedestrian connections across the site amongst other things.
The building is a first for London because externally the spherical building would be composed of a ‘skin’ of LED’s. These LED’s would be programmable and could display images on the surface of the building including adverts.
A detailed planning application and has been submitted which comprises a number of plans, drawings and documents that can be viewed on our website. An advertisement consent has also been submitted which comprises a number of plans and a design statement which is also available on our website.
Both applications can all be viewed via the Planning Application Register, using the following reference numbers:
- Full Planning Application: 19/00097/FUL
- Advertisement Consent Application: 19/00098/ADV
How can I comment
If you have any comments about the MSG Sphere proposal, please write to the Planning Policy and Decisions Team by Friday 28 June 2019. Comments must be submitted in writing via email or post:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or
Post: Planning Policy and Decisions Team
London Legacy Development Corporation
1 Stratford Place
Any comments received in relation to either of the planning applications (ref. 19/00097/FUL & 19/00098/ADV) will be considered as an official response to both applications.
The Planning Policy and Decisions Team will be undertaking three public consultation events where you can share your thoughts and learn more about the proposal and planning application process. Details of these events are as follows:
- 4 June 2019 (4.00PM – 5.30PM) at UNIVERSITY EAST LONDON, ROOM US2.12 (Venue details and directions are available via the following link - https://goo.gl/maps/k7y1znxjSNYDM4Rc8). STRATFORD ORIGINAL BID will be hosting LLDC and has kindly requested that anybody intending to attend this event to RSVP using the link on the following webpage – University East London
- 5 June 2019 (4.00PM – 8.30PM) at: ST PAUL AND ST JAMES CHURCH, 65 MARYLAND RD, E15 1JL (Venue details and directions are available via the following link - https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/6629/find-us/).
The event will broadly be structured as follows:
- 4.00PM – 6.00PM – Drop-in and talk to a representative of the LLDC planning team
- 6.30PM – 8.30PM – Presentation, Question and Answer session followed by Group Discussions
- 10 June 2019 (5.00PM – 8.30PM) at: ST JOHN’S CHURCH, BROADWAY, E15 1NG (Venue details and directions are available via the following link - https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/6631/find-us/).
If you have any questions or special requirements please contact us at: email@example.com.
A Key Fact Sheet was produced for the consultation events to provide overview of the planning application, the proposal, the planning process and LLDC’s role in the process. Please click on the image below to view the fact sheet:
LLDC are working through the comments and are in the process of uploading them to the Planning Register, however, due to a high number of responses submitted to the planning application, there will be a slight delay in uploading these comments.
The planning application will be determined by the LLDC Planning Decision Committee, after the Planning Policy Decisions Team have reviewed the submission and all written responses received during the consultation period. No date is currently set and it is considered that the earliest this could take place is Winter 2019. This page will be updated in due course once the date for Committee is known.
Various key documents, which provide an overview of the proposal can be viewed and/or download below. Please be aware some of these documents are quite large and may take sometime to open / download on certain computers: