When: Friday 22 August 2014, 11am – 1pm
Where: Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
Be in the know and visit www.QueenElizabethOlympicPark.co.uk and download images here.
Come along to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park between 11am and 1pm on Friday 22 August 2014, when we’ll be celebrating our three millionth visitor since the Park began to open in June 2013.
Take advantage of special offers to help you enjoy the Park, including:
• Enjoy spectacular panoramic views of London from the ArcelorMittal Orbit for just £5 (usual adult price £15)
• Free come-and-try sports sessions for all in the south of the Park, including all ability boccia, athlefit and multi-sports
• Free tours of the Copper Box Arena: home of handball and goalball in the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games – now a gym and London’s third biggest arena
• Meet and enjoy demonstrations from the capital’s home team, the London Lions professional basketball team and their cheerleaders, the London Lionesses
• Cycle for free on Lee Valley VeloPark’s mountain bike trails and road circuit (you need to bring your own bike)
• Meet the ArcelorMittal Orbit hawks
• Free half hour tennis session on the outdoor courts at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis centre (own equipment and advanced booking required)
• Free prize draw to celebrate our three millionth visitor
Further event details
• All ArcelorMittal Orbit individual tickets to be £5. Usual ticket prices are £15 adults, £12 senior/student, £7 child. Children under three go free. Tickets must be bought from the ticket window on the Park between 10am and 1pm on Friday 22 August 2014 and used for timeslots between 10am and 1pm on Friday 22 August 2014. A maximum of 10 tickets to be bought at a time by any one customer. Tickets are not valid in conjunction with any other offer and subject to the usual terms of sale.
• Tours of the Copper Box Arena will take place at 11am, 11.30am, 12pm and 12.30pm. Meet by the ‘RUN’ sculpture outside of the Copper Box Arena.
• The mountain bike trails and road circuit at Lee Valley VeloPark will be free from 11am – 1pm (normal adult price £6), Friday 22 August 2014. Bike hire not included and chargeable at £10 per hour. Standard Pay and Ride terms and conditions apply. For further information about the course and equipment needed visit http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/london2012/velo-park
• Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre has six outdoor tennis courts, which will be bookable for 30 minutes each, between 11am and 1pm, Friday 22 August 2014. Sessions must be booked in advance. Visitors must arrive at least 15 minutes before their session is due to start. Equipment is not included – rackets can be hired from the centre, tennis balls can be purchased from the centre. Standard court hire T&Cs apply. To book, call 08456 770 604. For more information about the courts and equipment, visit http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/go/hockey-tennis
• Visitors will also have the chance to win tickets to see the London Lions’ big game against Euro League’s PGE Turow on 6 September. Tickets are available at www.ticketmaster.co.uk
• There will also be a funfair containing a selection of rides (paid for attraction). It will be on the South Park Lawns from Wednesday 20 to Monday 25 August, 11am to 7pm.
All children must be accompanied by an adult. All venues and tours will be limited by maximum health and safety capacities – offers will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Event programme is correct at time of publication, but may be subject to changes.
Dennis Hone, Chief Executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation, said:
“Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is like a magnet attracting more than three million visitors since we started to open it from last summer. And the reaction - from local people to people from further afield - has been hugely positive, whether it’s children playing in the fountains and wonderful playgrounds or swimming in the wake of champions in the London Aquatics Centre. Come and visit London’s newest Park.”
The event is being delivered by Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in conjunction with Motivate East; Active People, Active Park; the ArcelorMittal Orbit; Lee Valley Regional Park Authority; the London Lions; and GLL, operators of Better Leisure Facilities.
For more information contact the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park Press Office on +44 (0) 20 3734 9010 or email [email protected]
Notes to Editors
London’s newest visitor destination, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, is a place unlike any other. Visitors to the Park are able to enjoy beautiful parklands and waterways, world-famous sporting venues, arts and events and spectacular views from the ArcelorMittal Orbit. As a new heart for east London, the Park will also provide new homes, jobs and a cultural and education quarter.
The London Legacy Development Corporation promotes and delivers physical, social, economic and environmental regeneration in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and the surrounding area, in particular by maximising the legacy of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
For more information visit QueenElizabethOlympicPark.co.uk, follow us on Twitter @noordinarypark and like us on Facebook facebook.com/QueenElizabethOlympicPark