East Wick

East Wick will be one of five new communities on the Park, neighbouring Here East, a new hub for the creative and technology industries.

It will be a neighbourhood of up to 870 homes with a mix of housing types, including family housing and private rented housing, framing the edge of the parklands. Alongside this, residents will benefit from a primary school fronting onto the Canal Park, with vibrant businesses and community spaces lining the route into the Park from Hackney Wick.

Drawing on the energy of the creative and cultural hub of Hackney Wick and Fish Island to the west, it will be an important enterprise and creative district, making it one of the Park's primary employment zones, with strong links to higher education and business at Here East. 

There will be great cycling and walking networks to the area and the Lea Valley. To the south of the area will be the Copper Box Arena, London's third largest, a 7,500-seat venue and hub for community activities, entertainment, indoor sports, cultural and business events.  

The name was suggested as part of a competition to name the new neighbourhoods on the Park, by Oliver O’Brien from Hackney, to reference its extension of the area of Hackney Wick East into the Park.

In early 2015 we announced that East Wick and Sweetwater would be developed together by one consortium led by Places for People and Balfour Beatty.  Construction has now begun. 


Tremendous care has been taken by the designers in ensuring that the shape of the buildings is maximised for energy efficiency, capturing sunlight when it is cold, and reducing overheating in the summer. As with all other homes on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, East Wick and Sweetwater is connected to the district energy network, reducing the harmful carbon emissions associated with heating these homes. This neighbourhood has already won the Sustainable Construction Award from the 2016 London Construction Awards for its environmentally focussed design. East Wick are currently achieving a 22.4% reduction in embodied carbon for Phase 1. 0% construction, demolition and excavation waste sent to landfill at East Wick development.

  • East Wick is being built on the site of the temporary Riverbank Arena and warm up venue, home to field hockey during the London 2012 Olympic Games and 7-a-side and 5-a-side football during the London 2012 Paralympic Games.  

    It sits alongside Here East, formerly the Press and Broadcast Centres for the Games. This was the 24-hour media hub for around 20,000 broadcasters, photographers and journalists bringing the 2012 Games to four billion people worldwide.

  • Now a thriving part of east London and a hub for creativity and entrepreneurship, this area has a fascinating history going back hundreds of years.

    The area east of Hackney Wick has for centuries been dominated by the River Lea and more recently by the man-made Hackney Cut canal. These rivers were and continue to be a defining characteristic of this area, allowing an invading Danish fleet to make it as far north as Hertford via the Lea and at the time of the Great Plague in 1665 helping save Londoners from starvation by allowing barges to transport food into the capital.

    The Hackney Cut, built in the 1760s, was meant to improve the river for boats, but in the 20th century, both the canal and the Lea have been more about recreation than trade, with the Johnstone boathouse built on the canal for the Eton Mission Rowing Club in 1934.

    The area became home to industry in the Victorian era. White Post Lane was the site of the Hope Chemical Works, a distillery for imported American crude oil, and in 1948 Clarnico - known as the country's largest confectioner - was based in Waterden Road after its old building was damaged during World War Two. Wallis Road was also crucial in the history of the invention of plastic, with Alexander Parkes making the first type called Parkesine.

    Waterden Road was also the home of the Hackney Wick Stadium, opened for both greyhound and motorcycle racing in 1932. Capable of holding 25,000 during its heydey in the 1950s, the stadium was demolished in 2003.